Porridge | Healthy Breakfast Ideas

The Autumn weather is finally hitting this part of Australia so I thought I would give you a tasty, warm breakfast to get you moving on these chilly morning. I'm talking about good old porridge (aka Oatmeal)

For a very long time I didn't like porridge. There was no particular reason why I didn't like it I just didn't. Around 2 years ago I decided that I wanted to start liking porridge because it is such a healthy way to start the day. So to do this I treated myself like a 2 year old, I set myself the task of eating porridge every morning for a week and now I love the stuff (I just had to get used to the taste). I am curious to know if you have a food that you don't like but don't have a reason for not liking (if that makes sense)? If you do I would love to know that I'm not alone in this.

There are a lot of reason why this wholegrain cereal is an excellent breakfast. It is full of fibre, vitamins B and E, as well as some minerals. Traditional rolled oats are the best kind for you, they have the lowest glycemic index (GI). Rolled oats take a longer time to digest (compared to instant oats) and therefore keep you fuller for longer. The milk provides calcium and protein to this nutritious breakfast. I would recommend adding toppings yourself rather than buying pre-flavoured sachets. 

Porridge doesn't have to mean a whole morning slaving over the stove. I make mine in the microwave and it only takes a couple of minutes. The recipe I use for porridge is 1/2 a cup of oats to half a cup of milk (skim is best). Microwave for 2 minutes stir and then microwave for a further 40 seconds. Sometimes it takes a little longer and other times this is the perfect amount of time (don't ask me why that is). One other recommendation I have for making porridge in the microwave is ensure that you use a bowl with high edges to avoid a porridge overflow (no one wants to be cleaning the microwave early in the morning). 

I have put together a few of my favourite porridge combinations to give you some inspiration for this warm healthy breakfast. 

Banana and Peanut Butter 



One of my favourite combinations! I used 1 heaped teaspoon of peanut butter and a whole banana. Peanut butter and berries is also another delicious combination

Apple and Cinnamon



I think this might have been my favourite combination of the week. I used a whole apple cut into small pieces and then sprinkled over one pinch of cinnamon and one pinch of brown sugar.

Passion Fruit and Almond


This combination was really tasty and the almonds add extra protein unsaturated fats. I use 1 passion fruit and a small handful of dry roasted almonds that I crushed. 

Mixed Berry and Milo (Drinking Chocolate)



If you are after a sweet treat for a cold and rainy morning this is the combination for you. I used a handful of frozen berries (which I microwaved for a few seconds to defrost) and a teaspoon of Milo sprinkled on top (Milo is a chocolate malt powder that you can get in Australia but any drinking chocolate will do).

The possibilities are endless when it comes to porridge. A few I want to try include peaches and coconut, pear and cinnamon, maybe even Nutella and strawberry. 

I hope I have inspired you to give porridge a go. I would love to know what your favourite porridge combination is so I can try it out too!

Happy Friday!
Bridge 


Comments

Popular Posts