Salsa and Pita Bread Chips | Healthy Snacks







Every Monday we have family dinner. We normally start the evening off with some pre-dinner snacks and this week I tried to add a healthy spin to it.

I was told that carrot sticks just wouldn't suffice, so my mission was healthy pre dinner foods that had flavour. I choose to go with a home made salsa and pita bread chips. I don't want to toot my own horn but it was delicious and considered a success because even the boys of the family enjoyed this healthy creation.

Since being back in Australia I have been craving the salsa and chips that you get at Mexican restaurants in America. Firstly who doesn't like free food? Nothing is ever free in Australia especially not food and drink! I feel like restaurants in Australia would charge for tap water and cutlery if they could. Secondly they just seem to do salsa better over there (hard to judge since free salsa isn't common here). we also have bowls full of home grown tomatoes at the moment and they are just too good not to use. Salsa is the perfect dip because it is mostly vegetables (yay) and has big flavours. I have had to put a healthy spin on the chips though but I feel like they are still tasty and provide the crunch that you need.

Everyone has different taste preferences, I like my salsa without too many lumps, lots of coriander and not too spicy. However, I know a lot of people who like chunky salsa with no coriander and a lot of heat. So my advice is alter this recipe to suite your taste buds.

So without further ado lets get stuck in to the recipe!


Salsa and Pita Bread Chips 
Preparation time 20 minutes
Makes: approx 3.5 cups of salsa 
(I'm going to estimate it would serve 10 for the nutrition break down below including the pita bread chips)
Per serve: Energy 395kj | Protein 3.1g | Fat 1.3g | Sat fat 0.2g | Carbs 16.3g | Sugar 3g |
                 Sodium 380mg

Ingredients
400g tin whole peeled tomatoes 
2 medium tomatoes (halved)
1 lime juiced
1/4 cup coriander 
1 clove garlic
1/2 large chilli (de-seeded) 
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 large pita bread
olive oil spray

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan forced.
2. In a food processor add tinned tomates, fresh tomatoes, lime juice, coriander, garlic, chilli, sugar and salt. Wiz together until you have your desired texture.
3. Slice up the pita bread into small chip sizes (I did some triangles and some uneven squares) and separate the two halves. 
4. Spread the chips out on lined baking trays and lightly spray with olive oil.
5. Put the chips in the oven for around 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them and they are done once golden brown. 
6. Serve salsa in a bowl along with the chips.
7. Enjoy!

This recipe is so easy to make and versatile. I have been eating this salsa with vita-weats for a snack at work. You could eat it with pasta, or make bruschetta, use is as a pizza sauce, even eat it with carrot sticks :). You can also add flavours to the pita bread chips, try adding some paprika, Mexican chilli powder or even some garlic. 

I hope you give this recipe a go. It is sure to be a crowd pleaser. I would love to see pictures if you do make this recipe. 

Happy Friday,
Bridget 

Find Nutrition Insight on Social media:



Share this post with the buttons below :)

Comments

Popular Posts