South West Chicken Salad







Today I have a recipe for you (finally). I am a big fan of the South West Chicken Salad from Sumo salad. It is my go to lunch when I don't make something myself. So I thought I would try my hand at making my own version.

I have made a few changes to what is in the Sumo Salad version. Instead of using a honey mustard dressing I used a 'south west dressing' inspired by the recipe here with a few changes. I added home made multigrain croutons because I needed some form of complex carbohydrate to give me energy for the rest of the day. After I was done putting my own twist on the salad it became something quite different but still just as delicious!

There are lots of colourful vegetables to provide you with an abundance of nutrients and fibre. The salad includes low fat dairy and chicken for protein to keep you feeling full.This dressing has an olive oil base. It is full of 'healthy' (unsaturated) fats which are good for keeping you hair, nails and skin in top condition as well as assisting in moving important nutrients around the body. What more could you ask for?

I often make this salad for lunches I poach the chicken, prepare the croutons and make the dressing on Sunday. I shred the chicken and divide it between 5 zip lock bags and freeze it. I keep the jar of dressing in the fridge and just give it a good shake before putting it on my salad. I store all the ingredients separately until I pack my lunch in the morning.


South West Chicken Salad
Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 5
Energy 1674 kj| Protein 39.4 g | Fat 16.6 g | Carbohydrates 21.2 g

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts
3 slices multigrain bread
olive oil spray
3 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp olive oil
4 tsp honey
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp mexican chilli powder
½ tsp ground pepper
1 cup corn kernals
3/4 cup roasted capsicum sliced (roast your own or store bought)
½ cup grated low fat tasty cheese
4 cups of spinach
1/3 cup coriander
1 carrot grated


1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Trim chicken of fat. Place them in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling turn down the temperature and simmer for 10 minutes covered.
3. Cut the bread into crouton sized squares. Spread the croutons out on a lined baking tray and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Put these in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
4. In a jar mix together lime juice, olive oil, honey, ground cumin, salt, Mexican chilli powder and pepper. Put the lid on and give it a shake.
5. Put the chicken on to a plate. Using 2 forks shred the chicken.
6. To serve, combine corn, roasted capsicum, cheese, spinach, carrot and coriander. Mix together and to put chicken and croutons. Coat the salad in the dressing
7. Enjoy

I hope you try this recipe out, if you do I would love to hear what you think and see pictures. Don't forget to tag Nutrition Insight in them (Nutrition Insight on Facebook, @Nutrition_Insight on Instagram and @Nut_Insight on twitter)! 

I hope you have a lovely weekend,
Bridge

Places you can find Nutrition Insight:
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin

To pin and share this recipe use the little buttons below :)

Comments

  1. Yum! I made this today and it was delicious... It tasted just like tacos... But a healthier version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like it Lou! I never thought of it that way but the dressing does taste a bit like tacos (yum!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts