Energy Bites | Vanilla/Coconut or Mint/Chocolate






Over the last few weeks I have been finding time to exercise in the mornings. I don't know about you but I like to sleep in until the very last minute before it is crucial that I get up. This leads me to my issue, what to eat before exercising when there isn't time to eat a proper breakfast. Normally I don't like to eat in the hour before I exercise, just because that is the perfect balance between food giving me energy to burn and feeling heavy and slow. This time frame differs for everyone (some people can eat right before exercising). It isn't necessary to eat before you exercise. It depends on your preference, how your body works and what kind of exercise you are doing.

I have been experimenting with different snacks that I can have in the morning before a run. I ended up with these energy bites. A while back I made lemon poppy seed cheesecake bites (check out the recipe here, they are so so delicious) for Nutrition Insight which were a low kilojoule snack to curb your sweet tooth, today the aim of these energy bites is to provide a small snack that can be eaten quickly to give you energy before a workout.

Nuts, seeds and dates are the basis of these energy bites. To be honest I haven't cooked with dates before, so it was an experiment for me. Let me start by saying that dates are still fruit, they contain sugar and shouldn't be eaten in large quantities (2 serves of fruit a day is recommended for adults). A number of articles I read while researching for this recipe included unrealistic health claims about dates. All you need to know is that they contain fibre which helps to keep your digestive system healthy (for this reason you should also not eat too many of them at one time) as well as vitamins and minerals, that have health benefits of their own. The purpose of dates in this recipe is to make the mixture sticky and sweet as well as provide fuel for a workout.

This recipe makes a lot of energy bites! Feel free to halve the ingredients. Alternatively, you can keep them in the freezer for a longer shelf life. These energy bites are best kept cold. If you are making them as a snacks for children I suggest keeping the size of the bites small.

I halved my recipe and made 2 flavour combinations, vanilla/coconut and mint/chocolate. You can substitute in any nuts, seeds or dried fruit that you like to create new flavour combinations. 

Energy Bites
Makes: 43 bites
Prep time: 20 minutes
Nutrition information (per bite):Energy 358kJ | Protein 2g | Fat 4g |Sat fat 0.7g | Carbs 8g |Sugar 7g | Fibre 2g |Sodium 4g

Ingredients
1 cup unsalted cashews
1 cup unsalted almonds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
2 cups dates
1 cup dried apricots
Vanilla/coconut- 1tsp vanilla essence, 1/2 cup desiccated coconut 
OR
Mint/chocolate- 1tsp mint extract, 3tsp cocoa powder

1. In a food processor wiz together the nuts and seeds until finely chopped.
2. Add in the dates and apricots, process until the mixture comes together and is sticky.
3. Add in your vanilla essence for the vanilla/coconut bites OR add in the mint extract and cocoa powder for the mint/chocolate bites. mix again until combined. 
4. Roll the mixture into small balls (I used 1tsp of mixture per ball). If you are making the vanilla/coconut bites you can then roll the balls in coconut.
5. Enjoy!

If you are looking for a pre workout snack or an afternoon pick-me-up I hope you give these energy bites a try. 

What is your go to pre-workout snack?

Happy weekend,
Bridge


Comments

Popular Posts